Thursday, July 29, 2010

OUCH! That Hurts!

In 2 Corinthians 12, Paul shares with us, albeit briefly, about his "thorn in the flesh" (v. 7). There has been much controversy and discussion about what this may have been. And due to the fact that Paul does not tell us, I am not going to venture a guess.

However, Paul does tell us that it was "a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being conceited" (v. 7). Could Paul really have become conceited? You bet. Paul was just like us and had plenty to get conceited about. The great truth about this is that God knew Paul well enough to not only give him this "thorn" but even when Paul asked Him to remove it, He did not. Instead, God responded with these popular and powerful words: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (v. 9).

You see, it's not about us overcoming our "thorns" as much as it is God's desire to show His grace and power in our lives. Paul realized this as he then states: "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities" (vv. 9-10).

When was the last time you got upset about a weakness, insult, hardship or calamity? Probably was not too long ago. And yet, when was the last time you boasted in those things so that the "power of Christ" would rest upon you? Powerful thoughts, huh?

In 2 Corinthians 11, Paul gives us a small overview of what he had experienced, those events and rights that he had in which to boast in (vv. 16-29). And yet, Paul says that he will not boast in the great things he has been able to be a part of but the "things that show my weakness" (2 Cor. 11:30).

I know that we all have something in our lives that if we had too would call our "thorn". Whatever it is for you, I know that we have a tendency to complain, gripe, get upset, and just have a bad attitude about it. But I want to encourage you, as Paul did, to "boast" in your weaknesses for the glory of Christ. Take time right now, to reflect on all those things, that keep you from being conceited and give the Lord praise and thanks instead of complaining about it. Oh, and, by the way, also take the time to thank Him for His grace that is sufficient!

No comments:

Post a Comment