Friday, October 23, 2009

What, me worry?

Worry is defined as: "to be fretful, perplexed, anxious; to cause mental distress to." Yeh, I know, I am not supposed to worry! Well, we do, don't we? We probably wouldn't call it "worry" but that is exactly what we do. We "worry" about our family, our jobs, our possessions and so much more. And yet, if we take time to reflect on ALL that we do "worry" about, how much of it is really under our control? The answer: NONE OF IT!

This past week was one in which I have to admit, I "worried." There were issues in my life that, despite my lack of control over, I "worried" about. And yet in it all, God was still there and took care of them.

Isn't it mind-boggling that we can sing about God's amazing grace, His mercy and faithfulness and then still find ourselves spending too much time in the "worry" department? Over and over again I have been reminded that not only is God faithful to me on a daily basis, He is fully aware of everything going on in my life and has it all under HIS control. I am so glad that God is never surprised by things in my life, let alone yours!

Take time today to: (1) Thank God for His faithfulness in your life; (2) Confess those times when you "worried"; (3) Ask God to help you trust Him more each day.

And remember these words from Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount":
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? [26] Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? [27] Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life" (Matt. 6:25-27)?

No comments:

Post a Comment